Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2013 ([ppmc])

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2013 ([ppmc])
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Jukka Zitting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> Any other points that would be interesting to include in the report?  I am
> > not sure what else that we should do before graduation.  In Chukwa status
> > page, we seem to have accomplished all check points.
>

> My general feeling is that Chukwa might be ready to start preparing for
> graduation.
>
> As discussed in the retirement threads, there are graduated podlings and
> other Apache projects with similar levels of activity and diversity. The
> underlying reason for the activity and diversity criteria for graduation is
> the desire to ensure longevity of the project. Someone who starts using an
> Apache product should have a reasonable expectation of help from the
> community and people willing to review and apply their potential patches
> also a few years down the line. This is often ensured by a large and
> vibrant community (typically hundreds of messages per month, plenty of
> active committers and contributors), but smaller projects with committed
> community members and significant real-world users and deployments can be
> just as resilient. It seems like Chukwa fits the latter category and has a
> reasonable chance to also grow larger over time.

Hi everyone. I'm inclined to agree with that.

The main suggestion I have from what i've seen of the project so far is
that there are a lot of patch commits and at least some of those are from
people who've contributed multiple patches. So i wonder if some of those
people couldn't be made committers. Having a low bar to commitership,
especially in low activity projects, can help with keeping the project
active and alive.

   ..ant