MapReduce, mail # user - Distributing Keys across Reducers

Distributing Keys across Reducers
Dave Shine 2012-07-20, 13:20
I have a job that is emitting over 3 billion rows from the map to the reduce.  The job is configured with 43 reduce tasks.  A perfectly even distribution would amount to about 70 million rows per reduce task.  However I actually got around 60 million for most of the tasks, one task got over 100 million, and one task got almost 350 million.  This uneven distribution caused the job to run exceedingly long.

I believe this is referred to as a "key skew problem", which I know is heavily dependent on the actual data being processed.  Can anyone point me to any blog posts, white papers, etc. that might give me some options on how to deal with this issue?

Thanks,
Dave Shine
Sr. Software Engineer
321.939.5093 direct |  407.314.0122 mobile

[cid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]7BC0]
CI Boost(tm) Clients  Outperform Online(tm)  www.ciboost.com<http://www.ciboost.com/>
facebook platform | where-to-buy | product search engines | shopping engines

The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely for review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.