Pig >> mail # user >> package org.apache.pig does not exist

package org.apache.pig does not exist
I am writing an UDF funtion as follows

import java.io.IOException;
import org.apache.pig.EvalFunc;
import org.apache.pig.backend.executionengine.ExecException;
import org.apache.pig.data.BagFactory;
import org.apache.pig.data.DataBag;
public class Average extends EvalFunc<DataBag>
{
     public DataBag exec { }
}
when I compile the java file , the first error I see is

"package org.apache.pig does not exist" along  with other errors

What should I do here