HBase, mail # user - Updating from 0.90.2 to 0.94

+
Yusup Ashrap 2013-02-26, 07:33
+
kiran 2013-02-26, 07:53
+
Yusup Ashrap 2013-02-26, 08:00
+
Viral Bajaria 2013-02-26, 08:51
Re: Updating from 0.90.2 to 0.94
Yusup Ashrap 2013-02-26, 09:17
Hi Viral , thanks for reply.
Thing is that my table is kinda big. I have about one hour maximum downtime for this upgrade.
That is not enough to distcp 20TB data to another backup cluster, even I modify replication factor to 1,
and from my exp it's highly unlikely to succeed  for the first time with distcp.

thanks for the offer anyway.

--
Best Regards
Yusup Ashrap
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Viral Bajaria wrote:

> Well if you can afford a longer downtime, you can always distcp your
> existing hbase data. This way if things get screwed up you can always
> restore a 0.90.x on that old backup. You cannot distcp while the cluster is
> running since it will not be able to get locks on file (I think I faced
> that issue but not sure since I did this upgrade mid-2012).
>
> When I did an upgrade, I brought up a test 0.94 cluster using the distcp
> backup (I took like 2-3 copies since I was very paranoid). Once I ran all
> my production jobs against the test instance and I was happy with all the
> results, that's when I re-ran the script to do the migration. It was all
> scripted out but I no longer have access to those scripts or else I would
> have shared it with you.
>
> Thanks,
> Viral

+