MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x

+
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-28, 18:53
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-03-28, 18:59
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-28, 19:02
+
Owen OMalley 2012-03-28, 19:25
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-28, 19:32
+
Owen OMalley 2012-03-28, 19:39
+
Doug Cutting 2012-03-29, 00:11
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-03-28, 23:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-03-28, 20:57
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-03-28, 21:14
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-03-28, 23:00
+
Scott Carey 2012-03-29, 19:45
Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x
Thanks a lot, Scott, for bringing the discussion back to what to call
"trunk" in JIRA and elsewhere. The proposal you describe to me makes a lot
of sense.

Owen, does this (and the JIRA proposal) make sense to you?

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Scott Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On 3/28/12 2:14 PM, "Aaron T. Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On on hand, we've historically bumped the version number for trunk (i.e.
> >> 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT). This has the nice property that when we do cut a
> >>release
> >> branch off trunk we don't have to scramble to change fix-versions on all
> >> the jiras committed to trunk from 'trunk' to X.0.0. Since I've done my
> >>fair
> >> share of jira manipulation for releases as the RM, as recently as last
> >> night, it's nice to not force the burden on the RM for branch-3.
> >>

> >I don't think you'd have to change all the JIRAs. You'd just have to
> >change
> >the name of the "trunk" JIRA version to whatever the right number is, and
> >then create a new version in JIRA also named "trunk." This would serve the
> >same purpose, without having to update any individual JIRAs.
> >

> >> OTOH, having a constant trunk-SNAPSHOT version string helps devs working
> >> on trunk since they don't have to deal with version bumps on trunk
> >>(albeit,
> >> once in a while). (Credit to Scott Carey for this idea.)
> >>

> >This is a nice benefit of Todd's (and Scott's?) proposal. Whenever we do
> >change the trunk version number, I have to update a bunch of scripts,
> >environment files, and configuration XML files. Not the end of the world,
> >but annoying nonetheless.
> >
> >I'd also add to this benefit that users who are new to the project will
> >more easily be able to determine what version to put for a JIRA they want
> >to get committed to trunk. I've seen plenty of users who are confused by
> >having to set "0.24.0" as the version indicating trunk.
> >
> >There's also a nice symmetry in having the branch in svn/git (named trunk)
> >have the same name as the JIRA version indicator.
>
> My proposal was from a few months back related to the naming of versions
> in maven.
> It boils down to 'laziness is a virtue' + 'the maven version should match
> the branch'.
> Pick a name for a branch when you actually branch, not months before.
> 'trunk' in svn == 'trunk-SNAPSHOT' in maven == 'trunk' in JIRA.
>
> The creation of a branch should avoid impacting the place branched from
> (i.e. cause work for people on trunk because of a branch, or cause work
> for a branch due to a tag, etc).
> If the version in 'branch/2.0.x' has maven version '2.0.x-SNAPSHOT' and
> JIRA tag '2.0.0' then tagging 2.0.0 has the following steps:
>
> $> svn cp branch/2.0.x tags/2.0.0
> $> cd tags/2.0.0
> $> mvn versoins:set -DnewVersion=2.0.0
> $> svn diff   (spot check pom changes that versions:set did)
> $> mvn versions:commit
> $> svn commit
>
> The result is a new tag with the version set, and no changes to the branch
> that was tagged from.
> [...]
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2012-04-03, 18:27
+