HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] More new feature backports to 0.94.

Re: [DISCUSS] More new feature backports to 0.94.
I think we are basically agreeing -- my primary concern is bringing new
features in vital paths introduces more risk, I'd rather not backport major
new features unless we achieve a higher level of assurance through system
and basic fault injection testing.

For the three current examples -- snapshots, zk table locks, online merge
-- I actually would prefer not including any in apache 0.94.  Of the bunch,
I feel the table locks are the most risky since it affects vital paths a
user must use,  where as snapshots and online merge are features that a
user could choose to use but does not necessarily have to use.  I'll voice
my concerns, reason for concerns, and justifications on the individual
jiras.

I do feel that new features being in a dev/preview release like 0.95 aligns
well and doesn't create situations where different versions have different
feature sets.  New features should be introduced and hardened in a
dev/preview version, and the turn into the production ready versions after
they've been proven out a bit.

Jon.