HBase, mail # user - HBase Cannot Start Again After Sudden Power-Off

HBase Cannot Start Again After Sudden Power-Off
Bing Li 2012-07-22, 09:29
Dear all,

I have used HBase in the pseudo-distributed mode for four months. Last
night a sudden power-off shut down my HBase machine abnormally. Thereafter,
HBase could be started.

I had to reinstall my HBase again. This is a very bad experience. It is
fortunate that my system is in a development stage. If it works for a
business, that must be a disaster.

I guess the problem is caused because some configuration data is written in
/tmp. I really DON'T understand why the designers of Hadoop/HBase did that!
I have to change a lot of configurations to avoid configuration data loss
in /tmp.

After reinstallation, HBase can be started normally. Then, I shut down
HBase/Hadoop and turned the machine off.

But, today I got another problem. When starting the system, HBase could not
be started again! I checked the files in /tmp and noticed that HBase wrote
some Jetty-related files in it.

   drwxr-xr-x  4 libing libing 4096 2012-07-22 16:27
Jetty_0_0_0_0_50070_hdfs____w2cu08
   drwxr-xr-x  4 libing libing 4096 2012-07-22 16:27
Jetty_0_0_0_0_50090_secondary____y6aanv
   drwxr-xr-x  4 libing libing 4096 2012-07-22 16:27
Jetty_0_0_0_0_50075_datanode____hwtdwq

I didn't see them before. I guess that's the problem why HBase cannot be
started? If so, could you please tell me how to force HBase to write the
Jetty-related files to the directories other than /tmp?

Your help is highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Bing