Hive >> mail # dev >> Custom SerDe and getting column comments

Custom SerDe and getting column comments
I have a custom SerDe we are using and it works well. However, we have one issue with it - an application used to allow users to maintain table and column descriptions does not work with it.

We store the descriptions as "comments" on the tables and columns, via a python script that simply executes the necessary HQL to set the comment, but then uses the Hive class to retrieve it from metadata.

The problem is that any comment we try to set ends up getting set to "from deserializer" on any table using our custom SerDe. This doesn't happen with tables using the LazySimpleSerDe.

Is there a way to make our SerDe work with comments?