Hive, mail # user - Using Hive metastore as general purpose RDBMS

+
Petter von Dolwitz 2014-01-22, 10:02
Re: Using Hive metastore as general purpose RDBMS
Alan Gates 2014-01-22, 17:18
HCatalog is definitely not designed for this purpose.  Could you explain your use case more fully?  Is this indexing for better query planning or faster file access?  If so, you might look at some of the work going on in ORC, which is storing indices of its data in the format itself for these purposes.  Also, how much data do you need to store?  Even index size on a Hadoop scale data can quickly overwhelm MySQL or Postgres (which is what most people use for their metastores) if you are keeping per row information.  If you truly want to access an RDBMS as if it were an external data store, you could implement a HiveStorageHandler for your RDBMS.

Alan.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Petter von Dolwitz 2014-01-22, 19:43