Chukwa, mail # dev - Re: What constitute a successful project?

+
Dai, Jason 2012-11-29, 13:54
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-30, 06:39
+
Jerome Boulon 2012-11-30, 09:04
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-30, 16:05
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-27, 08:08
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:19
+
Suresh Marru 2012-11-27, 12:36
+
Benson Margulies 2012-11-27, 13:54
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 15:16
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 15:32
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-28, 05:41
Re: What constitute a successful project?
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-28, 06:00

On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:41 PM, Eric Yang wrote:

> <snip/>

The various comparisons are distractions.  Let's focus on Chukwa and what can be done.

> If we are going to move forward, more time in incubation is not a realistic
> option.  The only way is vote for graduation and avoid the vicious cycle of
> closing the project review.

If there's an Incubator policy change that I don't know about I'm happy to hear it and reconsider my personal opinion.  If someone wants to change Incubator policy I'm happy to discuss it.  Can you not see by my message below that I am not intransigent but am willing to discuss all manner of things?

I would focus more on the Chukwa project and not spend so much time on comparing it to other projects nor making ugly innuendoes.  Look around you.  You are surrounded by a community who wants to help.
Regards,
Alan

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Alan Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 27, 2012, at 7:16 AM, ant elder wrote:
>>
>>> Unless there are compelling reason to stop, i.e continuing breaches of
>>> basic ASF polices and principles, then where possible letting a poddling
>>> continue incubation or just graduate seems better to me than making them
>> go
>>> elsewhere. Its not like a small slow problem is chewing up ASF resources,
>>> but i understand not everyone here agrees with my views on that. Wink is
>> an
>>> example of poddling in similar circumstances and there we are about to
>> have
>>> decided that graduation is better than retirement. Perhaps thats a better
>>> approach. I don't recall a graduation recommendation request from the
>>> Incubator has ever been rejected by the board so perhaps the Incubator is
>>> too conservative with graduation recommendations.
>>>
>>> Its interesting comparing Wink and Chukwa. From many perspectives Chukwa
>> is
>>> much more active than Wink but we're about to graduate Wink and talking
>>> about retiring this one. I've not yet had a chance to go through all the
>>> Chukwa archives but unless i'm misunderstanding something Chukwa isn't
>> just
>>> a lone coder, there have been several committers in the last months and
>>> while one is doing the majority of the commits many of those are actually
>>> applying patches from other people, so it looks like there are a bunch of
>>> people out there working on the project and we need to find ways of
>> better
>>> integrating them into the poddling community.
>>
>> This is an interesting line of reasoning worth pursuing, IMO.  If Chukwa
>> and Wink are actually on a par with each other we should see if it make
>> sense to apply the same reasoning about Wink to Chukwa.
>>
>> Are we implicitly having a policy change with podlings, if so, should we
>> make it explicit?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan

+