Hadoop >> mail # general >> 0.23.3 release coming soon

+
Robert Evans 2012-08-23, 20:52
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-23, 21:09
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-24, 17:48
Re: 0.23.3 release coming soon
There was a discussion about this in April

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201204.mbox/%3CCB9F
2CBB.37CD3%[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E

in which there was unanimous approval of the idea.  I realize that it is
confusing and I feel your pain.  I hate having to explain to our customers
why we are going "backwards" from 1.0 to 0.23.

The community as a whole is working hard and is serious about stabilizing
hadoop-2.  As I said in the original proposal everything that is in 0.23.3
has been merged first to branch-2.

What is more, putting on my Yahoo hat, we have nightly builds and tests of
branch-2.  We want to move to branch-2 as soon as possible, but to meet
our goals to have YARN out in production by the end of this year we had to
cut somewhere.  We also wanted to do this out in the open so the community
could see what was happening, instead of in some private git repository.

If the community has changed their mind and having an official release
labeled 0.23 is too confusing to customers I am happy to not call a vote,
but simply renumber the release and move on.

--Bobby Evans

On 8/23/12 4:09 PM, "Inder.dev Java" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Having releases like this kind of versions (back to 2x.x..) may confuse
>people?
>Hadoop-2 and 23.x may not have big difference right.
>
>already community decided to make the branches as 1, 2....etc.. So again
>going back to 2x.x releases may really confuse people. I confused by
>seeing
>this release mail here.
>
>Why can't people put real effort on hadoop-2 itself and make it stable as
>that is the version community wanted to make it stable from alpha? Why
>this
>effort split here.
>
>-thx
>
>On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Robert Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> I am planning to do cut a release candidate of 0.23.3 in the next week
>>or
>> so.  I am waiting for a few more JIRAs to go in (MAPREDUCE-3943 and
>> HDFS-3177), and a bit more testing before I call a vote.  I know not too
>> many people have been putting things into branch-0.23 directly, but if
>>you
>> do want to please check with me first. After I cut the release I will
>>open
>> the branch up again for more bug fixes for a 23.4 release.  I expect
>>0.23.4
>> to come about a month after 0.23.3. This is to incorporate any bug fixes
>> needed as Yahoo! and hopefully others do more testing on 0.23.3 and
>>start
>> rolling it out to more clusters.
>>
>> --Bobby Evans

+