Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Internal Metadata scan timeouts

Internal Metadata scan timeouts
I bumped into a bug with ACCUMULO-676, which has to do with offlining a
tserver & logger on a single node instance. Specifically, they get jammed
up on a scan of the !METADATA table to ensure that nothing else still needs
the logger ( http://pastebin.com/m8Q3ZTTn ). There's a quick fix there
which is to not do the !METADATA check if there are no tservers. But this
leads to a slightly larger potential issue of !METADATA scans failing
perpetually with no oppertunity for error handling. There are some
instances where you want to do retries. But at some point, the error needs
to be kicked back to a higher level for it to handle (whether or not it
retries immediately is up to the specific case).

However, this seems like something that would have been broached before, so
perhaps there is some reasoning for it here that I'm overlooking. Any
thoughts before I open up a gargantuan ticket to broach this subject?

John