Zookeeper >> mail # user >> ZooKeeper Memory Usage

+
Mike Schilli 2012-02-09, 01:23
+
César Álvarez Núñez 2012-02-09, 10:05
Re: ZooKeeper Memory Usage
This is really a question about how the jvm grows its heaps and resizes
them. If the jvm cannot allocate enough memory for the process because you
didn't set the max memory high enough, it will fall over. Zookeeper keeps
its entire state in memory for performance reasons, if it were to swap that
would be quite bad for performance.

On Feb 8, 2012 8:23 PM, "Mike Schilli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We've got a ZooKeeper instance that's using about 5 GB of resident
> memory. Every time we restart it, it starts at 200MB, and then grows
> slowly until it is back at 5 GB.
>
> The large footprint is related to how much data we've got in there.
> What's interesting, though, is that the process size doesn't shrink if
> we purge some of the data.
>
> Now, this isn't a big problem, I'm just curious if the process will fall
> over at some point if it can't get more memory or if it'll just make due
> by caching less data.
>
> Also, if I remember correctly, there's a configuration variable to set
> the maximum size, what happens if ZK reaches that?
>
> -- -- Mike
>
> Mike Schilli
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

+