Hadoop >> mail # general >> Add Append-HBase support in upcoming 20.205

Re: Add Append-HBase support in upcoming 20.205
+1

I'm biased.  And if we were adding any other feature but sync/append
in a minor release on 0.20 I'd be praising the work but not voting for
its inclusion.  So I'm a hypocrite too.... but I can't help myself.

St.Ack

P.S. Below is the hbase projects' 'official' story on the version of
hadoop users can run against our current stable offering.  Its from
our 'manual' up on the hbase website.  It might look to you like a
mess but the text is actually hard-won after feedback from folks who
have had to navigate its intricacies
"2.3. Hadoop
This version of HBase will only run on Hadoop 0.20.x. It will not run
on hadoop 0.21.x (nor 0.22.x). HBase will lose data unless it is
running on an HDFS that has a durable sync. Hadoop 0.20.2 and Hadoop
0.20.203.0 DO NOT have this attribute. Currently only the
branch-0.20-append branch has this a working sync[5]. No official
releases have been made from the branch-0.20-append branch up to now
so you will have to build your own Hadoop from the tip of this branch.
Michael Noll has written a detailed blog, Building an Hadoop 0.20.x
version for HBase 0.90.2, on how to build an Hadoop from
branch-0.20-append. Recommended [6].

Or rather than build your own, you could use the Cloudera or MapR
distributions....

See http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hadoop