HBase >> mail # user >> replication - how do I know the status?

+
Neil Yalowitz 2012-09-13, 20:18
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-09-13, 21:18
+
Neil Yalowitz 2012-09-13, 21:28
Re: replication - how do I know the status?
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Neil Yalowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a great answer, I can see that particular ganglia metric sharply
> increased when the issue began.  Thanks much.

Nice!

> One followup question:
>
> Can a distressed slave cluster cause performance issues on the master
> cluster?  It appears our performance problem was occurring on the slave
> peer, but the master cluster almost crashed as well.  I'm trying to
> determine if that was a coincidence or something more...

That's a tougher one, but FWIW the work required on the master cluster
is low compared to what the slave has to do; the master just needs to
read a bunch of edits and send them whereas the slave has to write
them to the WAL, add them to the MemStore, eventually flush and
compact, etc.

Also if you had a big MR job that ran on the master and that inserted
a lot of data, I would assume that it made everything slower. If it's
also what caused swapping then it would explain a lot.

J-D