Avro, mail # user - asynchronous server

+
Peter S 2012-02-26, 23:24
+
James Baldassari 2012-02-27, 00:40
+
Peter S 2012-02-27, 01:02
Re: asynchronous server
James Baldassari 2012-02-27, 01:52
Oh, I see what you're trying to do.  Well there is not currently an async
API on the server side so that the result could be passed back to Netty
asynchronously.  However, one thing you could do is use a cached thread
pool or similar when you create the Netty server so that there will always
be a thread available, and then the Responder could just block until
services B, C, and D have returned.  If you want to do it this way, use the
NettyServer constructor that takes an ExecutionHandler:

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/ipc/NettyServer.html#NettyServer

The ExecutionHandler should use an Executor that will create new threads as
needed (e.g. Executors.newCachedThreadPool()) so that there will always be
a thread available to handle an incoming RPC.  From a performance
perspective this shouldn't be a big problem because threads are fairly
lightweight, especially if they're just sitting there waiting for async
you'll always have the possibility that requests will be arriving faster
than the server can respond, which would lead to resources building up and
OOME in the worst case.  In that case even an async interface on the server
side wouldn't help because some state will always have to be stored on a
per-RPC basis.

In the future we may be able to support the async interface on the server
side as well.  For example, if the SpecificResponder implements the inner
Callback interface we could have the Callback.handleResult(T) send the
result back when invoked.

-James