Zookeeper >> mail # user >> why does ZK ignore null pointer errors?

why does ZK ignore null pointer errors?
I'm trying to track down an issue where my zk cluster rolls over and I've
come across the main run loop in NIOServerCnxnFactory.java.

I keep getting NullPointerError at line 190 which is:

InetAddress ia = sc.socket().getInetAddress()

but it is caught by a catch block at 217 that prints the message:
"Ignoring unexpected runtime exception".

I'm of the school of thought that discourages ingnoring NPE!

Can anyone enlighten me what the reasoning behind this code is?

Thanks.

Brian Tarbox

--
http://about.me/BrianTarbox