MapReduce >> mail # dev >> [Vote] Merge branch-trunk-win to trunk

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 22:55
+
Robert Evans 2013-02-27, 16:17
+
Eli Collins 2013-02-27, 19:56
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-27, 22:54
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-27, 23:43
+
Ivan Mitic 2013-02-28, 02:32
+
John Gordon 2013-02-28, 11:25
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-02-28, 16:45
+
Robert Evans 2013-02-28, 19:29
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-02-28, 19:50
+
Harsh J 2013-02-27, 19:20
Sanjay,

This is really confusing now.
Does Hadoop intend to support Windows by committing this patch?
If not, when the declaration of the "official" support comes in and
what does it mean?
Committing a 500K patch just to make things "not worth" doesn't make
sense to me.
If the support for this is planned to be the same as today's for
cygwin then what's the point?

I thought it was a simple thing to ask: create a nightly build on
Jenkins and then
duplicate it with additional parameter a patch file.
If you have an internal build system how hard is it to push it to
Apache Jenkins.
Who is the volunteer for this work, please speak up when it can be done.

Thanks,
--Konstantin
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM, sanjay Radia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>
>> Commitment is a good thing.
>> I think the two builds that I proposed are a prerequisite for Win support.
>> If we commit windows patch people will start breaking it the next day.
>> Which we wont know without the nightly build and wont be able to fix
>> without the on-demand one.
>
> They clearly are a prerequisite for declaring "official" support for windows.
> But they should not be a prerequisite for the merge,.
> Currently we enable windows through cygwin. There is no jenkins. Folks have been  fixing  windows issues as they are discovered.
> Merging the branch makes the situation no worse than it is today - all tests pass on Linux, there is no regression.
> Merging now removes  the cygwin dependency.
>
> Jenkins is critical to make windows officially supported platform without cygwin.
> When Jenkins is enabled, the team that has worked on this branch will have to fix any bugs that have arisen in the mean time.
>
> sanjay

+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-03-01, 20:18
+