Hadoop >> mail # general >> Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

On May 16, 2011, at 5:00 AM, Segel, Mike wrote:
> X represents the set of stable releases.
> Y represents the set of available patches.
> C represents the set of Cloudera releases.
>
> So if C contains a release X(n) plus a set of patches that is contained in Y,
> Then does it not have the right to be considered Apache Hadoop?
> It's my understanding is that any enhancement to Hadoop is made available to Apache and will eventually make it into a later release...

This assumption is probably wrong.  It likely wouldn't be hard to find patches made in Cloudera Hadoop that have been rejected from Apache Hadoop.  I know some of the code in Cloudera Hadoop 2 was definitely rejected.  If Cloudera Hadoop 3's lineage is based upon 2...