Zookeeper >> mail # user >> leader election, scheduled tasks, losing leadership

+
Eric Pederson 2012-12-09, 04:17
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 04:25
+
Eric Pederson 2012-12-09, 04:49
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 04:52
+
Eric Pederson 2012-12-09, 04:54
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 04:57
+
Eric Pederson 2012-12-09, 04:56
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 05:00
+
Henry Robinson 2012-12-09, 05:02
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 05:04
+
Henry Robinson 2012-12-09, 05:12
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 05:18
+
Henry Robinson 2012-12-09, 05:30
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-12-09, 05:41
Re: leader election, scheduled tasks, losing leadership
The irony is that I am using leader election to convert non-idempotent
operations into idempotent operations :)   For example, once a night a
report is emailed out to a set of addresses.   We don't want the report to
go to the same person more than once.

Prior to using leader election one of the cluster members was designated as
the scheduled task "leader" using a system property.  But if that cluster
member crashed it required a manual operation to failover the "leader"
responsibility to another cluster member.   I considered using app-specific
techniques to make the scheduled tasks idempotent (for example using
"select for update" / database locking) but I wanted a general solution and
I needed clustering support for other reasons (cluster membership, etc).

Anyway, here is the code that I'm using.

Application startup (using Curator LeaderLatch):
https://gist.github.com/3936162
https://gist.github.com/3935895
https://gist.github.com/3935889

ClusterStatus:
https://gist.github.com/3943149
https://gist.github.com/3935861

Scheduled task:
https://gist.github.com/4246388

In the last gist the "distribute" scheduled task is run every 30 seconds.
It checks clusterStatus.isLeader to see if the current cluster member is
the leader before running the real method (which sends email).
clusterStatus() calls methods on LeaderLatch.

Here is the output that I am seeing if I kill the ZK quorum leader and the
app cluster member that was the leader loses its LeaderLatch leadership to
another cluster member:
https://gist.github.com/4247058
-- Eric

+