MapReduce >> mail # user >> Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?
Hi Tom,

The edits are processed sequentially, and aren't all held in memory.
Right now there's no mid-way-checkpoint when it is loaded, such that
it could resume only with remaining work if interrupted. Normally this
is not a problem in deployments given that SNN or SBN runs for
checkpointing the images and keeping the edits collection small
periodically.

If your NameNode is running out of memory _applying_ the edits, then
the cause is not the edits but a growing namespace. You most-likely
have more files now than before, and thats going to take up permanent
memory from the NameNode heap size.

--
Harsh J