Pig, mail # user - Best practice for DB connection

Re: Best practice for DB connection
Raghu Angadi 2012-03-07, 08:27
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Mark Kerzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to initialize the HBase connection, which I normally do in
> configure() in the Mapper, and then my mapper uses it. How do I do it in
> Pig?
>
> I am ready to define a UDF that will return a handle, but is it a best
> practice?

yes. you can initialize inside the first call to UDF.exec(). The same UDF
object is used for the entire mapper.

Don't initialize inside the constructor for UDF. AFIK there is no way to
tell how many times and when the constructor is called (though it is no
more than a handful of times on the front end).

Raghu.