HBase >> mail # user >> autoflush, modify/drop columns via Thrift

autoflush, modify/drop columns via Thrift
Hello,

Having gone through the Hbase thift file in 0.89.20100924, I couldn't find a
way to turn of autoflush
(it appears that ThriftServer.java does not turn it off either before a
large insert/delete).

Also, is it possible to drop/modify columns to an HBase table? Comments like
this

/**
 * An HColumnDescriptor contains information about a column family
 * such as the number of versions, compression settings, etc. It is
 * used as input when creating a table or adding a column.
 */
make me think I can add a column but I can't find any function that allows
table modifications (after creation)

Cheers
Joy