HBase >> mail # dev >> VOTE: hbase-0.95RC1, the second "Development" Series Release is available [WAS -> VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote]

VOTE: hbase-0.95RC1, the second "Development" Series Release is available [WAS -> VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote]
Here is the second 0.95.0 release candidate.  Should we put this out as
0.95.0?  Please
vote by friday, April 5th.

See the refguide [1] for definition of what a "Development" Series Release
is (or read below where we call it a 'developer release").  In short, it is
a preview release, not for production, put out early so us devs start
getting feedback the sooner.

The release is available here:

  http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.95.0RC1/

Issues fixed in this release are available here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12324094

...including a fix for HBASE-8242, the issue that sunk the first release
candidate.

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here is our first 0.95.0 release candidate.  Should we put this out as
> 0.95.0?
>
> The 0.95.x series of releases are designated "developer releases", a type
> of release we have done in the past -- see the 0.89.x series -- where we
> let out 'raw', barely-tested product so developers and those generally
> interested can get some early exposure to what our next stable release to
> follow 0.94.x will look like.  Putting out these 'rough cuts' also helps
> to get the feedback started earlier while the release is still baking.
>
> These "developer release" come with no guarantees.  We make no
> promises that the next release will be compatible with this one or even
> that
> you will be able to preserve data across the update (This is at an extreme,
> and highly unlikely, but could be the case).  No work has been done to make
> it so you can migrate from 0.94.x HBase.
>
> In spite of all the caveats above, we still need to vote.  Remember, the
> bar
> is intentionally set lower on these "developer releases"; it will have to
> be
> something pretty bad to block this RC going out.  There should be a new
> release
> along in a week or two and we can address the offender there.
>
> The release artifacts may be downloaded from:
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.95.0RC0/
>
> Let the vote run for a short time, say, April 3rd.  Take it for a quick
> spin.
>
> Over 1500 issues have been closed against 0.95.0.  It is tough pulling out
> the highlights but I think most will be interested in big improvements
> in Mean Time To Recovery, a revamped metrics, support for hadoop1 and
> hadoop2.... the list is long.  For the full list of issues fixed see:
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12324094
>
> All feedback is welcome.  We'd be interested in getting feedback on
> everything from the packaging, layout, through documentation, UI, and of
> course,
> any bugs found.
>
> Thanks,
> St.Ack