Hive >> mail # user >> Rename external table, including HDFS directory

Rename external table, including HDFS directory
My understanding is that renaming and external table doesn't rename the corresponding HDFS directory to match.  I would like to do this; I want to rename the table in Hive and also rename the HDFS directory so they match (they already match with the old name).  I'm not sure how to do this.  I'm worried that if I rename the HDFS directory through Hadoop, not Hive, that Hive will lose track of the directory, regardless of whether I rename the table in Hive as well.

I also don't want to drop and recreate the table because I don't want to notify Hive of all the partitions all over again.

Thoughts?

                                           --  Yoda