Avro, mail # dev - 3x faster python reader

+
Uri Laserson 2013-04-29, 05:24
+
Doug Cutting 2013-04-29, 16:22
+
Philip Zeyliger 2013-04-29, 17:56
+
Uri Laserson 2013-04-29, 18:55
+
Miki Tebeka 2013-04-29, 21:32
Re: 3x faster python reader
Russell Jurney 2013-04-30, 06:10
I'm very interested in getting these changes into trunk. Moral support +1 :)

Russell Jurney http://datasyndrome.com

On Apr 29, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Miki Tebeka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did the same for fastavro <https://bitbucket.org/tebeka/fastavro>. I
> found changing the current code while keeping the same API very hard.
>
> Another option we can take is leave the current code as version 1 add the
> new code either as new module under avro or as avro2.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Miki
>

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Uri Laserson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I rewrote some of the python code to read avro files.  I was able to
>> achieve a ~3x speedup over the current impl, and can probably do better if
>> it was cleaned up more.  The main changes are:
>> * Eliminated the object-oriented nature of the reader.  It's just functions
>> now.  Presumably this can be changed back, but it didn't really seem like
>> there was any reason for it.
>> * Given a reader and writer schema, it precomputes as much helpful info as
>> it can upfront and caches this in a dictionary that the read functions use
>> * The code is compiled with Cython for speedup.
>>
>> How can this be used to improve the current python api?  Let me know how I
>> can be helpful...
>>
>> Uri
>>
>> --
>> Uri Laserson, PhD