Hive >> mail # user >> question about number of map tasks for small file

Re: question about number of map tasks for small file
Can you pre-aggregate your historical data to reduce the number of files?

We used to partition our data by date but that created too many output files
so now we partition by month.

I do find it odd that Hive (0.6) can't merge compressed output files. We
could have gotten away with daily partitioning if Hive could merge small
files. I tried disabling compression but it actually caused some execution
problems (perhaps xcievers -related I am not sure)