Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

Re: [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sub projects are not a good thing at Apache. Well, "official" sub projects
> that have their own committees, mailing lists, etc. You guys aren't talking
> about sub projects (though you call them that) -- in reality you are
> talking
> about *products* that the Apache Hadoop PMC releases. They may have
> different names, be on different release schedules, have different mailing
> lists even (which I still is not the right thing to do), but they are not
> *projects*. <snip>

Yea, sounds like we have a bit of a terminology problem here. We've always
called them "sub-projects", but in fact they're all managed by a single
PMC, released as a single artifact, live in a single source repository,
will soon have a single user mailing list, and have a largely overlapping
set of committers. The things they do maintain separately are *-dev@