Hadoop, mail # user - Pig vs hive performance

+
Abhishek 2012-10-03, 21:52
+
Dan Richelson 2012-10-04, 02:50
Re: Pig vs hive performance
abhishek dodda 2012-10-04, 03:42
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Dan Richelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anecdotally I can say that Pig seems to scale down better than Hive.
> We see this in tests- hive scripts running small amounts of data take
> much longer than similar Pig scripts. Hive parallel settings are
> enabled.

-- Same as in our case, for the small data pig seems to be much faster
than hive.

I think this has to do with the fact that there doesn't seem
> to be a 'local' mode for hive- you have to run it as mapreduce jobs
> (either embedded or on a cluster). Please correct me if I am wrong
> here.

-- I am not very sure whether this makes difference ?

Regards
Abhi

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Abhishek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can we discuss performance of pig vs hive
>>
>> 1) what hive is good at?
>> 2) what pig is good at?
>> 3) Hive optimizer vs pig optimizer
>> 4) hive limitations vs pig limitations
>>
>> Regards
>> Abhi
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> Dan Richelson, Software Engineer
>
> Tendril
> 2560 55th St. | Boulder, Colorado 80301
> M 303-709-2214
> www.tendrilinc.com
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
> If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
> Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
> Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
> The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

TianYi Zhu 2012-10-03, 23:15
+
Abhishek 2012-10-03, 23:41
+