HBase >> mail # dev >> Should compaction be triggered even if User periodically flushes

+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-05, 09:00
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-05, 11:20
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-05, 16:50
Re: Should compaction be triggered even if User periodically flushes
That sounds like a bug to me. Can you find why it's not being compacted?
Was this behavior changed at some point?

Thx,

J-D
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM, ramkrishna vasudevan <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi JM
> Thanks for your reply.  My concern is not with respect to compaction
> happening when a region is opening in another RS, my point was though the
> flushes were happening and more storefiles are created
> by user initiated flushing, the compaction were not getting triggered.
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi Ram,
> >
> > What do you think is wrong with the approach below?
> >
> > Doing the compaction when the region is opened in another RS will
> > improve data locality.
> >
> > JM
> >
> > 2013/4/5 ramkrishna vasudevan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > Hi devs
> > >
> > > If user periodically flushes the memstore we keep creating Store files.
> > >  Now if the number of store files  satisfies the compaction policy we
> > dont
> > > do compaction.
> > >
> > > We print the msg saying compaction_requested=true but do not include
> into
> > > the compactsplitthread.
> > >
> > > But when the RS goes down and the region gets opened in another RS as
> > part
> > > of postOpenDeployTasks we do compaction because the store file count
> has
> > > satisfied the compaction criteria.
> > >
> > > What could be the right approach here?
> > >
> > > Regards