HBase >> mail # user >> Could an EC2 machine to 4 times slower than local dev workstation?

Re: Could an EC2 machine to 4 times slower than local dev workstation?
We have also seen this in our testing, though we focused mainly on MR more
than HBase.

Keep in mind that EC2 Compute Units are defined as follows:

The amount of CPU that is allocated to a particular instance is expressed
> in terms of these EC2 Compute Units. We use several benchmarks and tests to
> manage the consistency and predictability of the performance of an EC2
> Compute Unit. One EC2 Compute Unit provides the equivalent CPU capacity of
> a 1.0-1.2 GHz 2007 Opteron or 2007 Xeon processor.
This does not even account for CPU contention that Amandeep mentioned,
which we have noticed at times as well.  Also, c1.mediums have a I/O
Performance rating of "Moderate."  I think this mainly refers to ethernet
speed, but it could refer to disk speed as well.

If your local workstation is a reasonably modern system, it is very
possible for you to see much better performance locally.  The difference
between 2.5 1.0 GHz 2007 processors (2.5 compute units) and a modern i5,
i7, or equivalent is huge not just in speed and number of cores, but
architecture, cache, etc.  In terms of HBase write speed, if you are
running on an SSD this could cause a substantial gap as well.