Kafka >> mail # user >> state of consumers, what frameworks are available?

state of consumers, what frameworks are available?
Other than writing my own worker processes to pull data out of kafka (or
rather consume the messages), what frameworks/libs are there for doing this?

I know ruby has resque, and there is a java port jesque.

I don't have the server resources (or experience) setting up a hadoop hdfs
setup, so looking for a more stream lined approach.

I plan on writting my aggregate results to something like mongo/mysql.

Language of choice is java.