Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0

Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0
On 05/02/2011 11:37 AM, Alan Gates wrote:
> From the viewpoint of a downstream user, I'd like to see this released.
> Right now Hive 0.7 and soon HCatalog 0.1 have to depend on a Cloudera
> distribution because they need security.  Having Apache products depend
> on 3rd party distributions of Apache products is bogus.  The sooner this
> is out the sooner we can fix this.

Alan,

Cloudera could upload its CDH3 patchset to a branch in Apache subversion
and call a release vote on it and I would vote against it.  The
interactive community process is to me what makes it Apache.

Releases should branch from trunk or use an existing release branch.  A
release branch should be open for patches from the general community.
Neither were the case here.  This is neither a subset or a superset of
the 0.20 branch that the community has invested in.  The change log for
this includes around 500 changes, yet only 24 issues are assigned to it
in Jira, the community's issue tracker.

Yes, the current situation is bad, but shortcutting the community
process doesn't fix it, it just hides it.

Cheers,

Doug