Hive, mail # user - Newbie - Hive Tutorial question, what format is the sample data file in?

+
David Swearingen 2012-09-01, 11:52
+
Edward Capriolo 2012-09-01, 13:37
+
David Swearingen 2012-09-01, 14:33
Re: Newbie - Hive Tutorial question, what format is the sample data file in?
Edward Capriolo 2012-09-01, 15:33
It is up to the user to decide what that INT means in this case. This
tutorial was created very early on. Since then hive has added support
for timestamp type which has a clear meaning.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM, David Swearingen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks. Still not clear to me what a time field is as an INT:
> milleseconds since the epoch?  That was my question.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:37 AM, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I do not think their is a sample file. You can tell the format by
>> create table statement.
>>
>> COMMENT 'This is the staging page view table'
>>    ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '44' LINES TERMINATED BY '12'
>>    STORED AS TEXTFILE
>>    LOCATION '/user/data/staging/page_view';
>>

>> http://www.asciitable.com/
>>
>> 12 is a '\n' and 44 is a ','. Since the format is TEXTFILE integers
>> are serialized into strings.
>>

>> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM, David Swearingen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I'm going through the tutorial at
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/tutorial.html .  It's not clear to me what the
>>> exact format of the log file would be for the sample queries described eg at
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/tutorial.html#Tutorial-LoadingData  I can't
>>> find a link to download such a file and while I'd be happy to construct one
>>> myself it's not clear to me what a viewTime of type INT would look like
>>> exactly.  Perhaps the file conforms to standard web server logfile formats
>>> however there are I believe a couple of variants on that format.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?  Thanks.
+
David Swearingen 2012-09-01, 15:47