Avro >> mail # dev >> C library

+
Douglas Creager 2010-10-14, 01:45
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-10-14, 02:01
> I didn't write the existing C library, but I've used it and done some work
> on it.  I'm currently writing my own more minimal and more streamlined
> implementation of Avro in C ...
>
> The issues with glib specifically would be:
>

>    - The license is not acceptable for use here. (LGPL)
>    - It is much bigger than what is needed here.
>    - Many of the things that make it more general would also make it slower
>    than necessary. The existing C code isn't a speed demon either, but the C
>    implementation should aim for solid performance.

Ha!  Well you're certainly right that glib's not small.  Are you sure
about the speed claims, though?  Would it be worth banging out a LGPL,
glib-based prototype to do some initial tests?

Along those lines, you mention a new C implementation you're working on.
 Is that something that you plan to fold back into the main libavro?  Or
will it be separate?  The spec provides a good basis for defining how
well different implementations interoperate, but so far it seems like
everything has been folded into the single, Apache-sponsored project.
Is there interest in having independent implementations?

–doug

+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-10-14, 02:56
+