HDFS >> mail # user >> how to benchmark the whole hadoop cluster performance?

Re: how to benchmark the whole hadoop cluster performance?
You are on the right track.  TestDFSIO and TeraGen/Sort provide good
characterization of IO  and shuffle /sort performance.  You would likely
want to run/save dstat (/vmstat/iostat/..) info on the individual nodes as
well.

HiBench does provide additional useful characterizations such as mixed
workloads using typical hadoop ecosystem tools.