MapReduce >> mail # user >> formatting hdfs says could not create jvm

Re: formatting hdfs says could not create jvm
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:47 AM, anand sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi i am following this tutorial for installing hadoop alpha 2.0.2 on ubuntu
> 12.10 and am sure home variables for java and hadoop are properly
> configured.
>
> http://jugnu-life.blogspot.in/2012/05/hadoop-20-install-tutorial-023x.html?showComment=1355499712017#c4821381562859079532
>
> after all the setup when i try to format hdfs it says something like this..
>
> hduser@impala:/usr/local/hadoop$ hdfs -format
>
> i get this error any reason why ..
>
> Unrecognized option: -format

The instructions say to run "hdfs namenode -format" but you ran "hdfs -format".

Either "hadoop namenode -format" or "hdfs namenode -format" should work fine.

The jugnu-life instructions are suboptimal on a few points; just from
a quick glance I notice

 - the instructions install a 32-bit JVM, hadoop strongly prefers a 64-bit JVM.
 - DSA ssh keys are deprecated, the default RSA keys work better.
 - config files go in /etc/hadoop/conf/ but the instructions say /etc/hadoop/.

I suspect there are more odd things there that I haven't noticed on my
first glance.

-andy