Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

Bringing Hadoop to Fedora
Greetings Hadoop Development Community,

As some of you are aware, we've been looking to bring the upstream 2.X series into the Fedora channels.  We believe that there are several benefits that this can bring to the community:

- Updated & streamlined rpm packaging
- Deeper level of system integration
- System managed dependencies (security + defect tracking)
- Proving ground for OpenJDK7
- Greater exposure for the community (both adoption and defect tracking)

During our evaluation (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Hadoop), we've come across some build issues as they relate to Fedora packaging guidelines (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java).  Most of these issues (listed below) are very minor dependency changes, and we were wondering if there are folks who would be willing to review.

fedora-patch-math: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9594
fedora-patch-collections: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9610
fedora-patch-cglib: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9611
fedora-patch-jersey: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9613
fedora-patch-jets3t: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9623  (uber deprecated)

There are other patches we have in the queue but they still need to be flushed out, and in an effort to follow the KISS principles we figure this would be a good start.

Cheers,
Tim