HBase >> mail # dev >> Purpose of versions in HBase...

Purpose of versions in HBase...

Hi,

In a different thread, we were discussing good and better schema designs.
In order to really understand why one should or should not do something, its kind of important to understand the underlying reasons why HBase was designed the way it was.

So since we have a bunch of committers here, and cc'ing the Dev list,

I'd like to explore why does HBase have cell versioning. What's its purpose.  How is it implemented. and Why.

This may seem a bit esoteric, but it would go a long way in educating many of the users on the hbase mailing list.

Also it may be a good couple of paragraphs to add to the online reference...

-Mike