Avro >> mail # dev >> C library

+
Douglas Creager 2010-10-14, 01:45
Hi Doug,

I didn't write the existing C library, but I've used it and done some work
on it.  I'm currently writing my own more minimal and more streamlined
implementation of Avro in C ...

The issues with glib specifically would be:
   - The license is not acceptable for use here. (LGPL)
   - It is much bigger than what is needed here.
   - Many of the things that make it more general would also make it slower
   than necessary. The existing C code isn't a speed demon either, but the C
   implementation should aim for solid performance.
 - Bruce

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Douglas Creager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Quick question about the C library.  It seems like a lot of the code
> implements some scaffolding that we could get for free from a library
> like glib.  Looking through the svn history, it looks like you've
> already taken out some dependencies on apr and apr-util, so I'm guessing
> you're trying to limit external dependencies, right?  Is that just a
> licensing question?  Or is it to simplify the build process?
>
> cheers
> –doug

+
Douglas Creager 2010-10-14, 02:43