HDFS >> mail # dev >> Secure deletion of blocks

Re: Secure deletion of blocks
Hi Matt,

Here are some code pointers:

- When doing a file deletion, the NameNode turns the file into a set of
blocks that need to be deleted.
- When datanodes heartbeat in to the NN (see BPServiceActor#offerService),
the NN replies with blocks to be invalidated (see BlockCommand and
DatanodeProtocol.DNA_INVALIDATE).
- The DN processes these invalidates in
BPServiceActor#processCommandFromActive (look for DNA_INVALIDATE again).
- The magic lines you're looking for are probably in
FsDatasetAsyncDiskService#run, since we delete blocks in the background

Best,
Andrew