HBase, mail # user - Moving master and namenode...

Re: Moving master and namenode...
Harsh J 2013-02-10, 20:22
The master does not have any local storage in a fully distributed
setup, so the transfer can also be as easy as starting the new master
on the new host and failing it over (by killing the original one).

The NameNode move part is the one that gets tricky. HBase may store NN
URLs in its ZK transient storage for purposes such as distributed log
splitting, etc.. (correct me if this has been addressed), and if the
NN move is ending up with a change of its hostname, then before you
start HBase, you may want to scour the /hbase znodes in ZK to remove
the znodes with a reference to the older NN URL in its data. Most just
prefer to erase the whole /hbase znode, but it would work either way.
The goal being to not have the new master or restarted slaves run into
issues when it picks up a URL it can no longer fetch for processing.

--
Harsh J