HBase >> mail # user >> Mixing Puts and Deletes in a single RPC

Re: Mixing Puts and Deletes in a single RPC
Well then, I guess if you really want to save space...

Take your DAO... add a method that takes the fields and writes them to JSON string and converts it to a byte Array.  (AVRO?)
If your field is null, you just don't add it to the output string.

That would take care of all of your overhead issues with the meta data.

Problem solved...

Now you don't have to worry about your meta data storage space since everything is all in a single byte array in a single column.
Of course this doesn't help if you want to filter your queries based on individual values.
(I guess you could write a filter that takes a json string, the field name, value, and comparison type as input and then outputs a T/F.)  This would be server side and would have to be placed on every node, but... it would work.)

Or you could parse out those fields that you need to help identify the record in terms of filtering, and store them in separate columns.  So you store the main record in a column, and then individual fields....

Again, no deletes necessary and of course not a lot of additional overhead.

Without really understanding your use case, how you use the data... its hard to determine what's optimal.

In my first post, while not optimal in terms of storage, its pretty straightforward, simple to implement, and is faster in terms of I/O access....

HTH...