Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-21, 19:15
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-23, 23:40
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-24, 20:13
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-24, 21:26
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-24, 22:03
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-21, 19:25
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-21, 20:46
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-21, 21:33
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-21, 20:00
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-21, 21:14
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-21, 21:50
+
Andy Isaacson 2012-11-21, 23:00
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-21, 23:58
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-22, 09:21
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-22, 01:46
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-22, 01:57
+
Chris Nauroth 2012-11-21, 21:03
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-21, 21:30
+
Chris Nauroth 2012-11-21, 21:44
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-21, 23:15
+
Chris Nauroth 2012-11-22, 00:14
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-22, 01:55
+
Chris Nauroth 2012-11-22, 02:40
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-22, 14:54
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-22, 09:02
Re: [PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Hi Alejandro,
For build-time issues in branch-2 and beyond, this may make sense (although
I'm concerned about obscuring functionality in a way that only maven
experts will be able to understand).  In the particular case of
saveVersion.sh, I'd be happy to see it done automatically by the build
tools.

However, for build-time issues in the non-mavenized branch-1, and for
run-time issues in both worlds, the need for cross-platform scripting
remains.

Thanks,
--Matt

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hey Matt,
>
> We already require java/mvn/protoc/cmake/forrest (forrest is hopefully on
> its way out with the move of docs to APT)
>
> Why not do a maven-plugin to do that?
>
> Colin already has something to simplify all the cmake calls from the builds
> using a maven-plugin (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-8887)
>
> We could do the same with protoc, thus simplifying the POMs.
>
> The saveVersion.sh seems like another prime candidate for a maven plugin,
> and in this case it would not require external tools.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Thx
>
> --
> Alejandro