From: Bejoy Ks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 09 January 2012 17:33
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: has bzip2 compression been deprecated?

Hi Tony
       Adding on to Harsh's comments. If you want the generated sequence
files to be utilized by a hive table. Define your hive table as

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE tableNAme(col1 INT, c0l2 STRING)
STORED AS SEQUENCEFILE;
Regards
Bejoy.K.S

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM, alo.alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> snappy is also available:
> http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-snappy/
>
> best,
>  Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com
>
> On Jan 9, 2012, at 8:49 AM, Harsh J wrote:
>
> > Tony,
> >
> > * Yeah, SequenceFiles aren't human-readable, but "fs -text" can read it
> out (instead of a plain "fs -cat"). But if you are gonna export your files
> into a system you do not have much control over, probably best to have the
> resultant files not be in SequenceFile/Avro-DataFile format.
> > * Intermediate (M-to-R) files use a custom IFile format these days,
> which is built purely for that purpose.
> > * Hive can use SequenceFiles very well. There is also documented info on
> this in the Hive's wiki pages (Check the DDL pages, IIRC).
> >
> > On 09-Jan-2012, at 9:44 PM, Tony Burton wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the quick reply and the clarification about the
> documentation.
> >>
> >> Regarding sequence files: am I right in thinking that they're a good
> choice for intermediate steps in chained MR jobs, or for file transfer
> between the Map and the Reduce phases of a job; but they shouldn't be used
> for human-readable files at the end of one or more MapReduce jobs? How
> about if the only use a job's output is analysis via Hive - can Hive create
> tables from sequence files?
> >>
> >> Tony

www.sportingindex.com
Inbound Email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Brookfield House, Green Lane, Ivinghoe, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 9ES.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404). Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM