Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Scott Banachowski wrote:
>
>> "build.sh test" seems to fail for interop tests, but I suspect it's my
>> environment and haven't had a chance to investigate why.  I assume others
>> would have flagged this otherwise.
>>

> What environment?  How did they fail?
>

>  I also notice that the interop tests run the whole configure/build chain
>> for
>> C again (instead of re-using the build that was created from the previous
>> unit tests).  Is that intentional?
>>

> That should probably be avoided.

I can optimize this in future releases.  I opted for the simpler/paranoid
approach.  It important to make the interop tests fast and easy to use since
we'll use them often in development and interop is critical.  Sorry for a
current overhead.

> The 'dist' target also seems to run some tests, when it doesn't need to.
>  So the build could certainly be streamlined.

Part of creating a distributable artifact that is guaranteed to work with a
simple './configure;make' is building the code and running all the unit
tests inside the newly generated package.  This cost is paid up front when
we generate the artifact so I don't see it as a problem.  Consumers of Avro
C will benefit from it immensely.

-Matt