Hadoop >> mail # user >> Multi-threaded map task

+
Mark Olimpiati 2013-01-14, 05:57
+
Nitin Pawar 2013-01-14, 06:34
Re: Multi-threaded map task
Thanks for the reply Nitin, but I don't see what's the bottleneck of having
it distributed with multi-threaded maps ?

I see your point in that each map is processing different splits, but my
question is if each map task had 2 threads multiplexing  or running in
parallel if there is enough cores to process the same split, wouldn't that
be faster with enough cores?

Mark
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Nitin Pawar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Thats because its distributed processing framework over network
> On Jan 14, 2013 11:27 AM, "Mark Olimpiati" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, this is a simple question, but why wasn't map or reduce tasks
> > programmed to be multi-threaded ? ie. instead of spawning 6 map tasks
> for 6
> > cores, run one map task with 6 parallel threads.
> >
> > In fact I tried this myself, but turns that threading is not helping as
> it
> > would be in regular java programs for some reason .. any feedback on this
> > topic?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark

+