 From: Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: How to config hbase0.94.2 to retain deleted data

"Deleted cells are still subject to TTL and there will never be more than "maximum number of versions" deleted cells. A new "raw" scan options returns all deleted rows and the delete markers. "

This is different from the idea suggested by the OP. Here deleted cells still get deleted. Just that when the compaction flag comes along, its told to ignore them.

So if I say a column can have 3 versions (cells) then if I insert another value for that row:column key, I push that deleted cell down the stack.  Enough times, its gone.

In theory, this feature would be useful if I wanted an OLTP implementation on top of HBase. It would allow the transaction to bridge a compaction cycle. However, that's pretty much it.

This feature doesn't translate well beyond this.

It also begs the following:  How do I handle a long transaction (OLTP)  timeouts, and isolation levels?

If you look at this at the row level... definitely not a good idea. Think of fat clogging an artery.