Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Integration Tests

+
Corey Nolet 2013-04-26, 03:01
+
Christopher 2013-04-26, 11:27
+
Corey Nolet 2013-04-26, 14:18
+
Keith Turner 2013-04-26, 15:40
+
Christopher 2013-04-28, 05:45
Re: Integration Tests
On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree that accumulo-test is the best place, but I think we should
> make it a point that no other modules should depend on accumulo-test
> for precisely this reason... to provide a place for end-to-end tests
> of other modules (the assembly module notwithstanding).
>
> This is actually a good reason to move MiniAccumuloCluster from test,
> because the proxy currently has a dependency on it just for
> MiniAccumuloCluster. That way, end-to-end integration testing that
> includes even testing of the proxy would make sense to exist in
> accumulo-test, and we'd avoid a circular dependency. It could be moved
> to server instead, as it seems to me that it is essentially an
> alternate server implementation (from the proxy's perspective,
> anyway). Though, I'm not sure I like the idea that the proxy is
> dependent on anything other than client code (accumulo-core).
> Alternatively, the proxy's dependency could be reversed, so that
> instead of the proxy having an option to start up a
> MiniAccumuloCluster, the MiniAccumuloCluster could have an option to

The proxy also has an option to use mock Accumulo.  It seems to follow from
this that MiniAccumulo would be an option also.
> start up the proxy. This reversal actually makes more sense to me

anyway. I never understood why the proxy should have the option to
> start up Accumulo, Mini or otherwise, as the natural operation, as it
> seems to me to be a bit backwards: an interface launching the service,
> rather than a service exposing an interface. I suppose it's not
> unprecedented, but it seems backwards to me.
>
> A third option is to move MiniAccumuloCluster to another module
> entirely, but I'm not so sure that's necessary or desirable.
>
> Any of these options removes the circular dependency, if we're going
> to make the accumulo-test the place to put end-to-end integration
> tests.
>
> My preference is a combination of the first two options: to put
> MiniAccumuloCluster in the server module and reverse the dependency,
> so that proxy only depends on core, and none depend on test.

Making these changes in 1.6 would be annoying for users (moving MiniAcc to
another package and deprecating options in the Proxy).  On the other hand
1.5. will not be perfect and it needs to be released.  Simplifying
the dependency tree may avoid problems in the future.  Do you know of any
issues this dependency structure will cause for 1.5.0?

> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Corey Nolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> So the accumulo-test would be the best place to start putting end to end
> >> integration tests?
> >>

> > For test against code in modules that can not depend on accumulo-test I
> > think this is a good place.
> >

> >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

+
Christopher 2013-04-29, 16:27
+
Corey Nolet 2013-04-29, 17:00