Accumulo >> mail # dev >> client config files

Re: client config files
Okay, so there is implementation overlap, but that overlap is pretty
minimal (admittedly, it could potentially grow). The only thing it is
currently used for, is to carry the value of the RPC timeout, and this
is not currently very friendly to end users (they'd have to
instantiate something that extends AccumuloConfiguration, just to
override that one property's value, and then call
instance.setConfiguration()).

I like configuration with scopes, so I would prefer to have
configuration properties scoped to RPC. I implemented the
Property-enum configuration model to reflect this preference, but I
made the mistake of carrying all the scopes in a single configuration
object. I don't see a problem separating out the RPC scope into a
separate configuration object that could be shared between the other,
broader scopes ("client", "master", "tserver", etc.). In other words,
I'd prefer smaller, more localized scopes for configuration, and I
think it's sensible to have an RPC/connection scope (not necessarily
thrift-specific). See BatchWriterConfig for a good example of a
locally-scoped configuration.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii